Competitors and organizers have said they can feel it in the air. Dressage at Devon is roaring back in 2021, and after a year in isolation it’s going to be better than ever.
On September 28 through October 3, spectators, competitors, and horses will start taking in that iconic light blue decor at the Devon Horse Show Grounds in Devon, Pennsylvania, for the first time in two years. In two weeks, the electricity of more than forty years’ worth of world-class dressage competition and the world’s largest open breed show will start buzzing once again.
Those attending will seek the one-of-a-kind delights they’ve always known beyond the equine performances: the gourmet food; more than 60 boutique vendors offering apparel, fine arts, jewelry, and antiques; and a warm, welcoming environment unlike any other show of its class in the world.
Whether 2021 will mark your fortieth time or your first, you’ll find more than ever delivered in the same intimate package you’ve always loved about Dressage at Devon. Here’s what to expect no matter what you’re into.
- The largest open breed classes in the world will take place from September 28 to 30.
- The individual breed classes begin September 28. Over the years, DAD has hosted breeds from Friesians to Oldenburgs, and from Thoroughbreds to Morgans. “The IBC classes have been a favorite for many years, allowing breeders to showcase their favorite breed. From Haflingers to Hanoverians, each breed brings their own distinctive qualities to the equestrian world,” said Breed Show Chair, Melanie Sloyer.
- Don’t miss the Parade of Breeds at the end of the day on Tuesday. This fan favorite event will feature the winners of all the individual breed classes.
- The highest scoring U.S.-bred horses from Wednesday’s classes will be given the “Born in the USA” Breeder’s Award.
(Stall) Window Shoppers
Browsing for your next champion? Make time for the Dressage at Devon Shoppin’ in the USA on Thursday, September 30. This fundraiser is DAD’s way of giving back to its loyal supporters and helping secure the show’s future. Prospective buyers can meet breeders and their equine offspring and watch multiple horses at one time moving and performing in the flesh.
Got some talent of your own to show? Sellers can pay a nominal fee to participate and get a full-page ad in DAD’s digital sales catalog, as well as the opportunity to present in-hand in the Dixon Oval, where potential buyers can watch horses warm up and compete before the final presentation.
Pro tip: All the featured sales horses will also be competing in the show – so be sure to check them out there as well.
Fashionistas & Pony-Loving Kids
- Wear your finest chapeau (no baseball caps!), to gain free admission on Friday, October 1. Ladies and Gents Hat Day takes place during the dinner break that evening, and there will be prizes.
- On Sunday, October 3, kids can join the Dressage Explorers Day and make their own stick horse to ride down the centerline in the Dixon Oval. They can also join the selfie-scavenger hunt for prizes and meet exhibition vaulters in person.
Three educational sessions take place on Saturday morning, October 2, in the Pub area.
- 9:00AM: Meet Robert Crouteau Equine Sales Manager at Stoltzfus Feed and Supply, Inc. Robert will discuss basic equine nutrition and focus on the new horizons of commensal equine microbiotics (probiotics).
- 10:00AM: Susanne Owen will talk about rider fitness and yoga, a key part of horse and rider partnership.
- 11:00AM: Boy de Winter, formerly a Hatter and now a Freestyle producer, comes to us from the Netherlands to speak about creating freestyles. How does it work? What will the new rules mean? Take what he teaches to the Dixon Oval that night when you watch the Grand Prix Freestyle.
- Who’s putting on a show at DAD? Find out more about this year’s exhibitions.
- Vaulting is one of the oldest known forms of equestrian sport. Often described as gymnastics performed on horseback, its origins can be traced to the Roman games. This year, DAD hosts the Silver Moon Vaulters from Suffolk, Virginia. Head Coach, Cindy Rohrer, and Assistant Coach, Lucy Rohrer, will bring their horse and barrels for those who want to try this exciting and historic equestrian discipline. Catch their exhibitions Friday, October 1, Saturday, October 2, and Sunday, October 3. Be sure to meet Cindy and Lucy as well as their human and equine team members.
The Devon Horse Show and County Fair has been hard at work throughout 2020 and 2021 making numerous upgrades to the show grounds.
- More than 500 stalls have been reconstructed.
- Screenings have been added to create better footing.
- See the barns’ new exterior walls, stable doors, and the rejuvenated iconic Devon cupolas.
“These are significant improvements,” said Lori Kaminski, President and CEO of DAD. “They make the showgrounds safer and more comfortable. We are very pleased that Dressage at Devon competitors will be able to benefit from these improvements at our 2021 show.”
- Equijet offers a horse flight voucher to the Grand Prix Special winner. They’re also sponsoring the Competitor’s Lounge and donating a $7,500 flight voucher. Visit with a representative on-site who will be happy to answer any equine travel questions and stoke your wanderlust.
- Haygain offers a full-sized HG One Hay Steamer to the Small Tour CDI winner.
- Sure Foot offers the signature Pads for all high score riders and horses at each level.
- Herm Sprenger offers spurs, spur straps and stirrup protectors to the winners of each performance class and six of the materiale classes in the breed show.
- UVEX offers helmets to top amateur and youth handlers in the Breeding divisions, as well as an American flag helmet to the highest scoring U.S.-bred horse.
From long-time favorites to new and unique boutiques, here’s a list of vendors coming to DAD this year:
In the Stirrup Equestrian boutique selling an exclusive line of riding clothing
Bassetts Ice Cream
Ice cream treats for the whole family
Inspired jewelry and handbags
Custom saddle makers
Daily Dose Equine LLC
Non-GMO horse feed and supplements
Deer Valley Danes LLC
Inspirational gifts for your canine friends
Custom made boots and shoes
Fine imported saddles
Specializing in only the best Dressage and Equine products
Dubarry of Ireland
Your go-to in outdoor wear
Dutch Magic Enterprises
Crabcakes, sausage and peppers, burgers, hot dogs and fries, breakfast items
Tee’s and fleece for your best friends!
F.I.C.S. of Maryland
Taking barns and arenas to the “next level”
Bridle builder system
Garden Party Home
Fun and practical “go to bags”
International Riding Helmets
IRH riding helmets
Custom boots designed by riders for riders
Lilo Leather Goods of Spain
Leather goods manufactured using ecologically friendly products
LM Custom Boots
Fine custom footwear
Curating the best assortment of tack and equestrian and fashion apparel
Fun and fabulous accessories
High quality custom and ready to wear equestrian footwear
Coats and rain rugs for your pup
Connecting riders and horses
Tempi Design Studio
Wearable art as jewelry, buckles, buttons and accessories
Full-service engraving business serving the equestrian community
The Horse of Course
Premier English tack shop
Award winning distinctive jewelry
Zoey by Design
A collection of equestrian and mainstream sterling silver, handbags and rainwear
Book Your Tickets
General admission is sold only during the show at the showgrounds, but pro tip, you’ll want to be there every day. So, save some cash by buying the Grand Prix Package:
- Three-day Grand Prix Ticket Package: $75
- Friday, October 1: $30
- Saturday, October 2: $40
- Sunday, October 3: $12
- Reserved seat tickets are available ONLINE ONLY and will be emailed. Get them at www.dressageatdevon.org.
Still Feeling Shy?
Q: We’re all meeting at the show, can we still sit together?
A: The more the merrier! You and your friends can sit together as long as the orders are placed together. Also, limited discounts are available for groups over 10. Please email [email protected] for instructions to buy group tickets.
Q: What if I have special seating needs (wheelchair access)?
A: If you have special access needs, please include that in the comments section on the ticket order page when you purchase. We’ll be happy to assist when you arrive!
Q: Where can I park?
A: Onsite parking is available for a fee and on a limited basis. Getting there a little early never hurts. You’ll want to get a bite to eat, suss out the social scene, and visit vendors anyway!
Q: When will the schedule be available?
A: Now! Check it out, then get your tickets.
Q: Can I bring my best canine friends, too?
A: The equine athletes prefer it if you leave the pups in good hands at home. They’ll forgive you if you bring them a treat from one of our fabulous vendors.
Q: What if it rains?
A: We’re running rain or shine so bring some layers. Even if you forget something, one of our vendors will have your back. (Pro tip: Check out Malvern Saddlery for anything you might need at the show – or Dubarry for some of their world-class boots!).
Q: I still have some health and safety concerns.
A: The Dressage at Devon committee, sponsors, and vendors are excited to welcome you back to the show. They’re committed to delivering a comfortable experience during your visit. Here are the Health and Safety Guidelines to enhance your day.
Q: Ugh, I just can’t make it this year!
A: We’ll miss you! But you can catch live results here: https://results.equestrian-hub.com/devon
Mark your calendars and plan your trip now! The 2021 Dressage at Devon will take place on September 28 – October 3 at the Devon Horse Show Grounds in Devon, PA. To learn more, visit www.dressageatdevon.org.