Our advice for staying healthy through the winter months, or any month for that matter is all about preparation. Plan out your meals, have healthy snacks on hand, and don’t allow yourself to be stuck in a situation where you end up having to choose something unhealthy to get by. Eating fresh, whole foods, as well as making sure to have protein and healthy fat at every meal will keep you fuller longer, as well as balance your energy and hunger through out the day. When faced with a winter celebration, try bringing your own holiday treats to a party you may attend. This way you can enjoy the celebration without guilt, knowing that your dessert is homemade, without gluten or refined sugars.
3 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 cup coconut oil, unrefined
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup black mission figs, chopped
1/2 cup pure pomegranate juice
1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- To make the fig filling, soak the figs for 1 hour in the pomegranate juice.
- Pour figs, and juice into a small sauce pan. Heat on medium low heat until the figs become soft, stirring frequently.
- Transfer figs to a food processor and blend, adding 1 tablespoon of maple syrup while blending.
- Set filling aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl combine dry ingredients.
- In a separate mixing bowl beat eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract with a hand mixer.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and beat with hand mixer until combined.
- Melt coconut oil, pour into batter, and continue to blend until combined.
- Chill cookie dough for 20-30 minutes in a freezer.
10.? Preheat oven to 375°F.
11.? Roll out cookie dough between two sheets of parchment paper to 1/4″ thickness.
12.? Spread filling mixture over cookie dough in a thin layer.
13.? Roll cookie dough from end to end, forming a long roll.
14.? Slice cookie dough into 1/2″ thick pieces.
15.? Place cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
For more recipes visit primal-palate.com. To view the book visit makeitpaleo.com.
References: marksdailyapple.com, robbwolf.com, balancedbites.com